IP Relay service lets people with hearing or speech disabilities communicate with hearing people through a web-enabled computer and the help of trained operators.
Eligibility and registration
IP Relay service is a free service available to all Télébec phone subscribers.
To register for IP Relay service:
- You must have a valid wireline phone number with Télébec (or on Télébec territory).
- Fill out the registration form while paying special attention to the “Service Limitations” and emergency address information.
- You will receive within the next 48 working hours a registration confirmation to the IP Relay service. Your registration confirmation will be sent to the e-mail address you identified in the registration form. Please save a copy of this e-mail as it contains your IP Relay user ID and other important information.
Charges and billing
There is no charge for using IP Relay service to place calls within Canada. Operator-assisted directory assistance (4-1-1) is also available free of charge.
Long distance charges apply for calls to the U.S. and overseas. These calls are billed to your Télébec phone service based on your long distance calling plan and applicable discounts. Some users may be eligible for a 50% discount on long distance calls. To register for the discount, or for more information, please call toll free our Customer Service Department at 1-888-TÉLÉBEC (835-3232).
When you place a call through IP Relay service, the first part of the call travels over the Internet. Therefore, if charges apply, they will be charged to your Télébec phone number no matter where you are physically located.
Collect, person-to-person, third-number billing and Calling Card calls are not supported. Calls to 1-900 numbers are not supported.
Prepaid cards are supported. Please provide instructions to the operator before placing a call using a prepaid card.
IP Relay service operators do not have access to your billing information, but can help you contact the appropriate department.
System and technical requirements
To use IP Relay, you will need:
- A computer with a Windows or Mac operating system
- Windows XP, Vista, 7
- Mac OS X
- A broadband Internet connection with a download speed of at least 1 Mbps
- A web browser
- Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome, Opera
- Other browsers may also be compatible
IP Relay service allows you to make data calls from any computer that meets these requirements – even in an Internet café, using a public Wi-Fi hotspot or with a 3G wireless enabled laptop. You do not need any special equipment or software.
Your IP Relay service is tied to your Télébec phone service, and remains active as long as you have a valid Télébec phone number (or a valid phone number with another provider on the Télébec territory). If you cancel your phone service, your IP Relay service will also be cancelled.
If you move or change your phone number, the originating phone number used for IP Relay calls will automatically update when your new phone number becomes active. If you are keeping the same phone number, nothing will change.
The 9-digit number you received by e-mail is your unique IP Relay user ID. To receive calls through IP Relay service, you will need to provide your friends and family with this user ID.
To change your IP Relay preferences:
- Navigate to https://iprelay.ca
- Log in using your IP Relay user ID and password.
- Go to the Preferences page.
- Modify your preferences.
- Important: Please be sure to keep your emergency address updated.
- Click Save.
Accessing IP Relay service (open a session)
Data callers (data to voice):
In order for IP Relay service to be used simultaneously by two users with the same phone number, each user must register and obtain a unique IP Relay user ID. If two people log in simultaneously using the same ID, the first user will be disconnected.
Access IP Relay service: https://iprelay.ca
Call 1 888 735-2921 to connect with an IP Relay service operator, who will relay your call to a registered IP Relay user.
If you are using a mobile phone, only voice-to-data calls are supported. That is, you cannot log in to the IP Relay portal using the browser on your phone.